About 350-901 Exam
Developing Applications using Cisco Core Platforms and APIs or just Cisco exam 350-901 DEVCOR is a professional test for developers tasked with software developing and maintaining. In more detail, it tests your knowledge in infrastructure and automation, application security and deployment, Cisco platforms, and APIs. The exam assists you in obtaining two certifications.
The Associated Certifications
The designations associated with 350-901 exam are Cisco Certified DevNet Specialist - Core and Cisco Certified DevNet Professional. Both these accreditations are valid for three years and would require recertification before it expires.
The Cisco Certified DevNet Professional designation certifies your capabilities in the development and maintenance of applications that are built on Cisco Platforms. To earn this qualification, candidates are required to pass two tests: the 350-901 DEVCOR and one of eight software developer concentration exams such as 300-435 for enterprise solutions, 300-835 for collaboration solutions, 300-365 for data center solutions, and five other ones.
The Cisco Certified DevNet Specialist – Core certification proves your abilities in designing, debugging, and developing apps with the use of Cisco core platforms and APIs. It is one of the specialist certificates which Cisco awards to candidates who take the associated exam. Thus, all those who pass the 350-901 core test earn this certification.
Aimed Audience Profile
Exam 350-901 is perfect for software developers who have experience using Cisco platforms and are looking to advance to professional-level roles in network programmability and automation including network engineers, solution architects, automation developers, infrastructure developers, and other related job roles.
Except for age restrictions, there aren't any requirements for candidates who wish to take exam 350-901. It is, however, beneficial to you if you master the exam objectives. Also, applicants for the Cisco Certified DevNet Professional qualifications are expected to have 3-5 years of experience in software development.
General Exam Format
Exam 350-901 runs for 120 minutes and is offered in multiple-choice question format. Moreover, to register and take the final exam in one of the various Pearson VUE authorized centers, costs $400. At the same time, it is available to be taken online, saving you from worrying about catching the virus.
Exam Domain Details
Five domains form the source of test questions for 350-901. However, Cisco can change them without notice, so this list should be considered a mere guideline for your self-study and exam preparation.
1. Software Design and Development: This domain tests your knowledge of the best practices and core principles used in developing network applications on Cisco Platforms. It covers 20% of the 350-901 exam questions regarding API calls, dependency management, and release packaging concepts, and advanced operations for version control using Git. It would help if you also learned about the evaluation of application implementation and design considering observability, rate limiting, latency, resiliency, high availability, and scalability. You may also need to describe such concepts as load balancing, back-end, and front-end related distributed applications. Additionally, candidates will benefit from knowing the evaluation of preferred database categories considering application requirements.
2. Using APIs: This section of the exam will test the candidate's skills in applying Application Programming Interfaces to define communication flow between multiple software apps. This part makes up 20% of all exam questions.
So, to score high in this part of 350-901, test-takers need to understand the authorization code grant flow of OAuth2 three-legged authorization code and have the ability to construct apps that consume REST APIs. Also, it would be best if you also learned about the optimization of API usage with help of HTTP cache controls. Other topics include questions regarding implementing consumer code control flow and error handling in robust REST APIs.
3. Cisco Platforms: This domain covers 20% of the test questions related to Cisco Platforms. Therefore, to scale through questions from this domain, you will need to know about data sourced from Cisco APIs and how to build the custom dashboard where the data will be presented. You also should be able to describe the potential of AppDynamics when applications are being instrumented by it. The other questions can come from the construction of Python scripts utilizing the UCS APIs and the Cisco DNA Center APIs to facilitate new UCS servers and display wireless health information. You should also know about the construction of API calls and their utilization in the data retrieval from Insight. Candidates will be proficient in creating and deleting objects triggered by API requests using FDM. It is also essential to understand how to use the Meraki platform to perform various assignments.
4. Application Security and Deployment: This question category covers 20% of the exam as well as focuses on the candidate's ability to ensure designed application security. Thus, the possible topics may include APIs and how end-to-end encryption principles apply to them, OWASP threats and their mitigation strategies, the configuration of SSL certificates, and the undisclosed storage approach for specific scenarios. Tested knowledge also includes data privacy concerns, the best application logging strategies, “12-factor app” tenets, and how static code analysis and continuous testing benefit CI pipelines. Candidates will check their skills in containerizing apps using Docker, and diagnosing a failure of the CI/CD pipeline.
5. Infrastructure and Automation: As with the other exam domains, this part equally covers 20% of the exam questions. But this section contains questions about hosting applications on network devices, especially Cisco IOx and Catalyst 9000 enabled devices. It also includes questions on achieving business and technical requirements using configuration management solutions. Also, you may need to study the construction of workflow used in the configuration of network parameters with Puppet manifest and Ansible playbook. Learn about configuring network devices like IOS XE only VLANs, static routes, and interfaces using RESTCONF. Lastly, candidates may be asked to explain model-driven telemetry considerations such as data storage and consumption.
When you pass the 350-901 exam and get the associated Cisco certifications, you will gain new knowledge and skill, get some recognition in the industry, and be positioned to take advantage of the job opportunities you always wanted.
Meanwhile, who says you have to stop at the 350-901 core exam and one concentration exam. Go ahead and get all nine certifications under the Cisco DevNet Professional certification and become a part of the innovative Cisco DevNet ecosystem and shine among developers and networkers.